C & I Electronics is committed to the reuse and recycling of used and end of life electronics and any or all other materials associated with this process, such as paper or plastics. Our goal is to reuse and recycle large quantities of electronics from our regional area and demonstrate that a qualified electronics recycler can exist and thrive in a smaller market by reaching a higher percentage of the market. Our policy is to promote the reuse of equipment over recycling, as it is more economically and environmentally responsible, while continuing to expand the reach of our recycling services in and around our community in order to reduce the amount of electronics entering the landfill.
In order to manage this process in a systematic way, we have established an integrated Environmental Health and Safety Management System (EHSMS) which conforms to three internationally recognized standards: R2, the Responsible Recycling of Electronics, ISO 14001, an Environmental Management System, and OHSAS 18001, an Occupational Health and Safety Assessment Series. The general EHSMS principals to which C & I Electronics commits are:
- the reuse instead of recycling of equipment when possible
- the prevention of pollution and the reduction of waste
- the prevention of injury and ill health
- an assessment of health and safety hazards\risks, as well as environmental aspects and impacts that appropriately pertain to the organization
- the identification and compliance to applicable legal and other requirements that relate to the EHSMS and the R2 Standard
- the creation of policies, objectives, procedures, and plans that make up the EHSMS, which will be documented, maintained, and checked periodically as defined within the system
- continual improvement of the EHSMS as measured by the systems’ performance
- the communication of EHSMS obligations and expectations to both our employees and to the public in a variety of ways
- conformance to the principals of the R2 Standard that follow a “reuse, recover, energy recovery, dispose” hierarchy of responsible management of electronics for recycle
- the development of and adherence to C & I Electronics’ Focus Material Plan to ensure that electronics are recycled in the most environmentally responsible manner
- the development, continual improvement, and adherence to C & I Electronics’ Quality Assurance Plan and related procedures for the reuse of equipment
- a periodic review of the EHSMS and R2 guidelines to ensure the system remains relevant and appropriate to the organization’s needs
Together we strive to reuse and recycle the maximum percentage of material in the best possible way with the least impact on our environment, while promoting and maintaining a safe and healthy workplace.